Go Back   Fallen Angels > General Discussion > Anything Goes!

Graphics Problem
Old 12-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #1  
CoreyvsWorld
Warlord

Default Graphics Problem

So, just recently this started happening, and I think I know, but am hoping I don't know the problem, which would be my graphics card is dying.

Basically after about after 5-10 minutes, the computer monitor will turn off, like its going on standby or like the computers shut off, and I Will hear a very loud fan in my computer start up. I don't know what causes it, like right now I'm using the computer fine and hoping it doesn't happen again. Any suggestions?

Old 12-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #2  
CoreyvsWorld
Warlord

Ok, little update.

I wanted to make sure it wasn't a virus or a software problem so I started to reformat today and it did the same thing. I'm not so sure if its the graphics at this point cause the entire computer locks up.

Basically my monitor turns off and then a second later everything locks up (If i had music playing it just starts skipping, if i touch anything the computer just starts beeping.)

Old 12-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #3  
Sc0rPi0n
Super Moderator

At least you have narrowed it down to a hardware problem. So it sounds like it is one of two things; your video card is overheating(judging by the fan), or like you said your video card is dieing. If you are giving up on the card and are going to toss it anyways, try underclocking it.

http://cellfish.com/multimedia/110451

Old 12-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #4  
CoreyvsWorld
Warlord

I would be all for trying that, only firstly my computer can only get half way through a windows xp install before it freezes and at this point it wont even turn on anymore. I took a look inside and it is the graphics card fan that is the one going crazy.

The question I'm down to, is would the graphics card over heating cause my whole computer to freeze up/not turn on?

Old 12-04-2007, 05:56 PM   #5  
IceBlade
Forum Nazi

The gfx card overheating can 'cause your computer to freeze up. Do you have spare parts? If you do you can swap them for your parts one by one to determine the problem.

You can also try this if you think it's your video card. Take out your video card and take off the fan. Clean all the dust off it. There's usually a little sticker covering the axle that it spins on. Take it off and put a bit of light grease on it to lubricate it. I used oil myself 'cause I didn't have any grease and that worked fine but I was told to use grease. Just don't put a lot. Even one drop is too much. Use a toothpick or something to apply it.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:47 AM   #6  
Sc0rPi0n
Super Moderator

Open up the side of your case and put a fan in front of it. Actually, if your computer is overheating early it may be a serious heat problem i.e. heatsink issue? What type of card is it anyways Corey

http://cellfish.com/multimedia/110451

Old 12-05-2007, 09:40 AM   #7  
lhurgoyf
ƒ¯ƒ¥ƒ°ƒ°,,L

When my gfx card was dying I could get about ~5 minutes into a game and the screen would distort and I would get a sharp pitch screem from my computer and everything would lock up. After replacing the card everything was fine and dandy.

I killed a warlock once, then credits started rolling and it said "Congratulations, you have beat World of Warcraft!" And then I died from Dots.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #8  
CoreyvsWorld
Warlord

Yeah, so I actually managed to get a shitty pci video card from one of my old teachers and tried that out and it works fine, So I'm assuming the graphics card just took a shit on me, whatever though, its just a reason for me to upgrade to the 8000 series anyway.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:15 PM   #9  
IceBlade
Forum Nazi

What kind of card do you have? My friend's died as well and he RMA'd it. Got back a better card since they weren't manufacturing the old one anymore.