Go Back   Fallen Angels > General Discussion > Anything Goes!

To the computer savy people
Old 09-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #1  
CoreyvsWorld
Warlord

Default To the computer savy people

Having a bit of a problem here, maybe people better with computers will be able to give me an explanation and possible solution to this.

About two days ago, i woke up and turned on my computer, only to come back in my room and find that some of the start up files were missing, I Tried windows recovery by copying those files back to the hard drive, but nothing worked, then after a few reboots It would get to the part where it detected all my drives and just hang up there. Now at this point i know the problem is either the hard drive, or the hard drive controller, so i went to best buy and talked to some people to confirm this and looked at prices for new hard drives. When i got home, for some reason i was able to boot up and reformat and everything ran fine for a couple of days.

Now today, while my computer is running i go to open some programs and they all just freeze, so i reboot my computer and it starts hanging up on the same screen. I haven't yet replaced the hard drive, but this is the second one I've used in the computer and its fucked itself both times.

What I'm wondering from you guys is if A, it is a problem with the hard drive, and maybe a simple purchase of a new one and starting fresh will fix it or B if its the hard drive controller on the mother board and if that is the case then can someone give me some info on this cause i have very little knowledge about it.

thanks in advance,
Corey

Old 09-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #2  
Emerica.
Wicked Sick!

Sounds to me like the harddrive is leaking information so to speak. Happened to a lot of Dells I know of. My parents and my best friends being two. Replacing the harddrive did the trick for them.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #3  
Vinco
Bone Brigade

I got an idea, dont ever buy a dell. Buy your own parts and put ogether ur own comp. then pirate some software from one of ur friends. thereya go. done deal, i make my own computers and they work fine. and i got kool green fans with lights. :-)

Old 09-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #4  
CoreyvsWorld
Warlord

I've been building my own computers for 6 years now, this is the third one I've built.

I was able to reformat and I'm on it now, I got new RAID Drivers, i think thats what the main problem was, If i do continue to have problems with it though i think I'm just gonna buy a new hard drive and hope for the best.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:13 AM   #5  
Vinco
Bone Brigade

Which HDD where u having a problem with? Do you have different raids set up? I'm thinking about setting up a raid 0 and 5 after i get some more funding for computer stuff. I also need help overclocking. /sigh. what kind of computer nerd am i? anywho, i tried some overclocking software, and i couldnt tell a difference, and then it would restart my comp...so gay. and there is nothing in my BIOS except a hardware monitor to set up alarms.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #6  
Emerica.
Wicked Sick!

Don't buy a Dell, thats as clear as the color of water, but some people just don't listen. I've had kids get a hard drive back that ALSO leaks. Dell is fucking retarded and they always use refurbished parts. And yeah building your own PC is always the way to go. Unfortunately my psu just died and it took my motherboard with it.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #7  
Vinco
Bone Brigade

hahahah yeah. whats ur setup? i got the ASUS P5NSLI board with a geforce 7600 gt graphics card. 2 gb DDR2 ram, 500 gb SATA hdd. and a crap ton of pron. hey, how far away is ringwood from trenton?

Old 10-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #8  
Emerica.
Wicked Sick!

Its up in Passaic county. I would say about 1 and a half to 2 hours. It takes me 45 to get to Rutgers which I think is outside of Newark. My dead PC has 1 gb pc3200, x850 ati gfx, amd 64 3200 proc, and asus mobo. But its currently the worlds largest paper weight along with my zune :sadface:. (I sat on my zune and broke the screen.) I have a dell laptop tho, usually I don't like dell, but their lappys seem to hold up pretty well.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:56 PM   #9  
Vinco
Bone Brigade

lol i dont understand how ppl break phones and mp3 players and such i mean, come on :-) i got a few dell laptops....and all i have to say is "meh" i guees if i go the XPS one, id be impressed.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #10  
Emerica.
Wicked Sick!

Ok well I keep it in my back pocket and I have one of those hiker clips for my keys. Stupid me slips the keys in my pocket, keys destroy my mp3. Also I dropped my nintendo DS down the stairs and broke that screen too. :( I guess im not that good with lcd screens hahah.