Go Back   Fallen Angels > General Discussion > Anything Goes!

Who uses Linux?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:15 AM   #1  
blood

blood is
Default Who uses Linux?

Could you please post here if you use Linux at all during your day/week/month/whatever. If you use it, post here. Things to include..

Distro name AND release name/number
KDE? GNOME? Fluxbox? Terminal-only?

Me and Listman of NerdHerd work on a project together and I'm thinking of helping with a couple others but I'm not gonna type out descriptions if nobody who uses these forums also use Linux.

Ty,
blood//gotenks

note: dont make me get mods to delete spammy stuff -- just post if you use it or leave the thread be, thanks.

Last edited by blood : 01-24-2007 at 09:40 PM.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #2  
MegamanEXE
First Blood!

I use Ubuntu, but I forget which version.

I was also using MythTV for a while, until I found a better working windows alternative.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #3  
Towlie
Dominating!

LLGP. But I rarely use it.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:22 AM   #4  
Beyonder
X-Login King

I had used Gentoo, that was interesting learning how to use and portage is just really cool. I also used fluxbox and kde if I had to. But being back at school I need to use more stuff on Windows and linux was a pain getting peripherals to work, and it wasn't worth dealing with dual booting and trying to share files across file systems so I ditched it (for now). If I was ever going to make a PVR or some host I would go back to it or look into Open/FreeBSD.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #5  
blood

blood is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyonder
I had used Gentoo, that was interesting learning how to use and portage is just really cool. I also used fluxbox and kde if I had to. But being back at school I need to use more stuff on Windows and linux was a pain getting peripherals to work, and it wasn't worth dealing with dual booting and trying to share files across file systems so I ditched it (for now). If I was ever going to make a PVR or some host I would go back to it or look into Open/FreeBSD.
for retrieving files from Linux while booted into XP, try explore2fs :) awesome app. for vice versa, the ntfs support is pretty good now.
yeah my webcam doesn't work but that's about it. you wont hear complaints from me :)

Old 01-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #6  
Beyonder
X-Login King

ntfs support is 'okay', not great or anything I wanted to deal with on a permanent basis.
Peripheral support is growing, but there is still the normal linux user required setup (but it is linux ;p), I just remember trying to use my microsoft wireless desktop (yeah, I was asking for it there) and having to map my own key events.

But it's a great learning tool. What distro/environment do you use?

Old 01-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #7  
blood

blood is

Quote:
ntfs support is 'okay', not great or anything I wanted to deal with on a permanent basis.
Peripheral support is growing, but there is still the normal linux user required setup (but it is linux ;p), I just remember trying to use my microsoft wireless desktop (yeah, I was asking for it there) and having to map my own key events.

But it's a great learning tool. What distro/environment do you use?
Linux has come leaps and bounds in the last year. There are now distros you pretty much just pop in the CD, install and you're good to go. What distros do I use? Debian on the server and Fedora Core 6 for the desktop. I just got Counter-Strike: Source working well (hadn't tried for a long time). As I said, things are getting really easy to work with for an average user.

gg Linux,
})FA| blood//Gotenks

Old 01-26-2007, 12:29 AM   #8  
Beyonder
X-Login King

CS:S with wine or did valve release a linux version?

Old 01-26-2007, 04:41 AM   #9  
blood

blood is

Quote:
CS:S with wine or did valve release a linux version?
CS:S with WINE, had no issues. de_inferno showed an extremely small amount of hiccups near the haystacks but I do believe I've found the issue.

ref here: http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...X+Wine+G ames