Go Back   Fallen Angels > General Discussion > Anything Goes!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

A deep thread (religion vs self-belief)
Old 01-31-2007, 02:10 AM   #1  
blood

blood is
Default A deep thread (religion vs self-belief)

For Christians out there this might light some fires, might piss someone off or perhaps offend them. If so, just remember who is getting upset (not the starter of this thread). It's all with good intentions i ask...

Is religion a good thing? How is it different from self-belief?

This came to mind (again) last night when talking with a friend about different religions or lack thereof. We were both pretty tired and it didn't really go anywhere "intense" or "deep" but we did manage to define a few things from each persons perspectives/locations/etc. Also, tonight on the show House, there was a girl who challenged (Dr.) House in this stuff. I kinda don't want to type about it because it's a good show and it was just on tonight so it might spoil... but let's just say I agree with House, as usual.

back to answering the question from my perspective...
I guess, to answer the first question, I'd have to say "Life is short, enjoy it." Religions differ from self-belief in rules and regulations mainly. You walk in a church, you can't swear. They say God forgives all but (this is not a God vs no God thread, i know) you shouldn't curse. Your grand parents woulda smacked you (prolly) if they heard you curse in the house. People with self-beliefs that line up with Christianity, whom I personally know, tend to be a bit more "in-tuned" with what's going on today. You *really* mess up on something and you just wanna curse.. well you know the rest. If you walk in a chruch-friend's house and say that word you'd get looks. I mean, religious people tend to be (around here) less understanding and more "fire and brimstone" about stuff, but for no real-life applicable reason. Politeness and respect go a long way. I'm not saying I go to peoples house and curse up a storm, but there should be some slack BOTH ways, is my point, and the people who don't say they are "really religious" tend to offer that slack more than the contra.

What do you think? What goes on around you?
(btw, I don't mean just christians)

ps. my friends all me "downhillist" or don't have any answer to give. I don't really fit any kinda religion or belief system.