Go Back   Fallen Angels > General Discussion > Anything Goes!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

The idea of memory-Defined within context to alzheimer's
Old 03-30-2007, 10:29 PM   #1  
NJPunker23
RS: Vegas Team Member

Lightbulb The idea of memory-Defined within context to alzheimer's

Alright, now listen im posting this to see how many people here at FA are wise. Well not just wise, but to see if one would take part in reading something from an otherworldliness, basically from the metaphysical realm. Its an short essay i did for my creative writing class. Its long, and you dont have to read it, but please dont flame or complain if you have not read the whole thing through.

As I write, this very moment, this instance this word, letter, comma, it is all transforming into memory. Moreover I am recalling to my memory for the very ideas to fill this blank space. So is that it? Memory is a cycle that recalls and stores? Well academically it cannot be considered a cycle for the Oxford English dictionary defines memory as Faculty of remembering, being mindful. Therefore according to the Oxford English dictionary remembering memory is to recall upon experience, also a state of being mindful; having your “mind” literally “full” or being aware of ones own past experiences. So if the intellects consider memory as faculty of recalling experience, how does a memory form?
Well to challenge the definition of memory (as according to the Oxford English dictionary) one must be fully ware of the notion of experience. We cannot have memory without experience. In our conscious state, our real life, we experience every second, then store this experience maybe not willingly but our experience is still stored thus committing itself to memory. Do you see the cycle now? We must experience to create memory; we cannot remember a memory unless we have experienced it.
So where does this state of being mindful fall into the cycle? If you consider the word mindful in the literal sense then you believe that our minds have a limited capacity. If you are more inclined to consider ‘mindful’ as a state everyone can achieve then you are mindful of yourself and your memories, in essence you are aware.
But see, this is were the conundrum exists it lies within our state of awareness, being mindful. How do we become mindful with out having memories that make us aware? Well simply we cannot, and again the cycle is prevalent.
To breakdown the cycle: One experiences, then experience transforms into memory, which then makes one mindful for they now have a memory to recall, one now has a sense of awareness because of a memory that stemmed from experience.
Socrates wanted people to become aware that they are all wise, to reach a state of awareness where we can think out concepts and recall these concepts usefulness in real life. In exactly the same manner as we recall a memory from a real life experience. We cannot remember a memory unless we have experienced it.
Could this be the fundamental ideology of Alzheimer’s? If a mother cannot remember her child’s name at the age of 90 is it because she never met her child, never gave her child a name? No it is not, because the 90-year-old mother has given birth to her child she has named her child, she has experiences! But she cannot recall them. Alzheimer’s seems to erase our state of awareness therefore removing our link to ones memories. This is why the mother stricken with Alzheimer’s can randomly recall memories, because when her state of awareness returns she now has access to her memories.
I would argue that Alzheimer’s is not an illness that erases memory, but an illness that debilitates (almost permanently) ones self-awareness. This concept of Alzheimer’s removing a person’s awareness debunks the Oxford English dictionaries definition of memory, in the context of being mindful. The mind constantly stores memory but it is our awareness that has direct access to our memory. So it is not our mind that can reach a capacity limit (‘mind’ being ‘full’ mindful) but it is our awareness that can wither preventing access to our memories.
-Jon C.